With the introduction of tableBASE Version 6 and Library Bridge, there are now a number of types of tableBASE libraries. The attributes of each are highlighted below:
Version 5 libraries
- Created with tableBASE Version 5 (including Library Bridge tableBASE 5.B)
- Can be converted to Bridge or Version 6 libraries
- Can be accessed by tableBASE Version 5.x and Library Bridge
- 3120 Block Size, Version 5 directory structure, indexes are stored on the library, hash tables may be true or indexed, paged tables supported
- Created only by converting a Version 5 library
- Convert from Version 5 libraries via the Library Bridge conversion utility
- Can be converted back to Version 5 libraries
- Can be converted to Version 6 libraries
- Can be accessed by Library Bridge, and tableBASE Version 6.0.2 (or later)
- 3120 Block Size, V6 directory structure, indexes are stored on the library, no paged tables
- Can NOT be accessed by any tableBASE 5.x releases prior to Release 5.B
- Can NOT be accessed by any tableBASE 6.0 releases prior to Release 6.0.2
All releases of tableBASE 6.0.3 will continue to provide support for Bridge libraries. However, DataKinetics Ltd. cannot guarantee support in future releases of tableBASE beyond 6.0.3. Any modifications or improvements required to the libraries will only be made to the Version 6 libraries.
Version 6 transition libraries
- Created originally by converting Version 5 tableBASE libraries using the job streams CVLB526B and CVLB526V delivered with tableBASE 6.0.1 that are now obsolete (see note below)
- Converted from Version 5 libraries using the conversion utility DK1TCNV
- Can be converted back to Version 5 libraries if they have not been expanded
- 3120 Block Size, Version 6 directory structure, indexes are stored on the library, no paged tables
- Can only be accessed by tableBASE release 6.0.x (or later)
Version 6 Transition Libraries must be converted using the DK1TCNV utility to Version 6 libraries, or to BRIDGE libraries (or to Version 5 libraries, if they have not been expanded), if so desired. The library and can be identified with the DK1TLCHK utility. For more information see Converting a tableBASE library.
Version 6 libraries
- Defined with tableBASE Version 6 or are converted from Version 5, Bridge, or Version 6 Transition libraries with the conversion utility DK1TCNV.
- Cannot be converted back to any other type of library
- Can only be accessed by tableBASE Version 6
- Have no fixed Block Size after conversion to Version 6 (this feature does not apply to libraries converted from previous library versions to the Version 6 format).
- Have Version 6 directory structure— no paged tables
- Provide better performance then Version 4 or Version 5 libraries:
- Tables have dynamic indexes that are build at open time, instead of having to read indexes from and write indexes to the library.
- Libraries that are dedicated to a region may cache their directory information, eliminating many library accesses.
- Libraries can be defined with BLOCKSIZEs optimized for your table characteristics and DASD devices.
Any attempt to define different libraries in a single conversion job will not be successful.
You cannot change the library block size during the conversion process. You must leave the block size at 3120.
Libraries it can access
Library Bridge (tableBASE 5.B)
V5, V5 Bridge
V5 Bridge, V6Trans, V6
The Library Version Identification utility, DK1TLCHK, is used to identify the version of a tableBASE library.