To create a new tableBASE library:
- Allocate the library dataset either by JCL for BDAM or by IDCAMS for VSAM.
- Format the dataset with a TBEXEC DEFINE NEWLIB operation.
Below is JCL to create both a VSAM and BDAM tableBASE library:
An equally valid variation is to allocate BDAMLIB as DISP=(,CATLG) in Step 1 (above) and reference it as DISP=OLD in Step 2 (above). If your installation uses only BDAM, only STEP2 is required.
The library size (nnnn) may be estimated by summing the following:
- Nine blocks (of 3120) for the space directory, larger for libraries greater than 168K blocks.
- Space to hold the contents of all generations of all tables. This value can be computed from the number of records and the size of each record in each table.
- One block per table to hold the contents of all generations (step 2) for overhead for definitions of the tables.
- Space for one generation of the largest table. This is needed when updating a table, because the new generation is stored on the library prior to deletion of the oldest generation.
- Room for short-term growth.
- An average of one block per 20 tables for the tables directory.